21 September 2011

The Day Whole Foods and I were Friends

I have a funky, fond amusement for Whole Foods, but I always feel a little like an intruder when I go in.   I feel certain they ALL know that I think the people shopping in certain sections are being taken for a ride because there is just no reason for ____ to cost that much.  They know I think it smells funny in there, and they're offended.  But I also have the sneaking suspicion that not everyone, but some of the flocks of liberal granolas there are aware of my conservative voting record, the amount of Diet Coke I guzzle every day, they know that I belong to a patriarchal religion, and lead a very traditional lifestyle.  And they frown on it or feel sorry for me, as I am surely sheltered, out of touch, maybe brainwashed, or a bigot.

But one day, a month or two ago, I was picking up some Fenugreek at Whole Foods by Jeff's office.  I was going to go visit him at work but Jude was hungry and I was starting to get flustered thinking of where I could feed him...

and then I slipped into a booth in the cafe section, and it was awesome because everyone that walked by was so happy for me, and we all understood each other.

2 comments:

The Laidlaws said...

You, my friend, are one of the funniest and most entertaining writings I know. Please write a book one day! :)

And thank you for your uber nice comment on my blog. As I sat down at my desk to read it I thought "I love Meredith!!!' Well, i've always thought that, but I thought it again this morning.

Love you!

PS- I should totally try to dig up those old phony-pregnancy pics. I was such a weirdo...still am. ;)

The Laidlaws said...

*writers. sorry for my #pregnantbrain.