03 September 2011

Watchables Part II

Not all streamable on Netflix....


My mom has been trying to get me to watch this for a while, and after some reluctance (the title is weird -- I could not remember what it was called), I am now appropriately addicted. I always have the subtitles on because their accents are funky and they mumble at times.

If you watch Downton Abbey, A&E's P&P, Keira Knightley's P&P, or Notting Hill, you'll recognize some faces. I like Brendon Coyle so much better as Mr. Bates; in this show he is so over the top with his condescending idealism. Anyway, it's really a sweet show and I'll keep watching it.



I'm sure we all know now that Mad Men is streamable on Netflix. I don't know how much more I can watch of this show. Usually when the episode is over I have a stomach ache. I skipped pretty much all of Season 4 and watched the season finale last night, just to, you know, get the gist. Oh Don. I love you and hate watching you self-destruct AND hurt people. Monogamy doesn't work for you, or you don't care to have monogamy work for you. Why are you (spoiler alert) remarrying???

I love watching the business with his kids/Betty. Perhaps because I am a suburban housewife, it's just interesting to see how it's portrayed and where they're taking them and how life looks for them.

The fashion aspect is too much fun with its full circle. Betty's turtleneck + slim fitting pants + flats? Hello -- that is my fall/winter uniform!

Jeff loves this show partly because it's set up like a French film; more about character development than plot development. It seems like a lot of the characters have stopped developing, and the plot lines are either outright dark or have a very grim undertow, so they better get back to the character evolution or it'll be a 100% debbie downer show.

And a picture in parting:


Jude and one of his chums

1 comment:

Meredith said...

We started Mad Men, but it just kind of fizzled...hm. I really want to like it, as I loved the clothing/time period/filming, but I just don't love (m)any of the characters. Maybe we should try again, as we only made it partway through season 1. I will definitely check out the other period pieces you have mentioned. :)