14 October 2008

What it Means to be an Eaton


One of the topics I sit on a lot on this blog is my phamilee.  They are my favorite things, and I'd have to say we have a pretty good thing going. 

In my own branch of Eaton, we're all pretty different.  We don't really believe we look or act alike.  Dad's the high-octane genius, Mom's the voice of self-control and sophistication, Elizabeth's the boss, I'm the ragamuffin, Sarah's the spitfire, Cameron's the saint.  Somehow we all hang out and have a great time.

I can say that being an Eaton means:
  • you laugh hard at your own jokes.
  • you lace that which you say and write with a ribbon of flair at all times, and in all things, and in all places, or die trying.
  • you know almost every Hitchcock movie ever made.  I think Marnie is the only one I haven't seen; it was decidedly waaay too scandalous for those little 10 year old eyes of mine.
  • you have eaten more broccoli than any one else.  Ever.
  • you have Steve Martin's Father of the Bride memorized.  Once I went running 6 miles with a friend and she didn't believe me so I recited the movie the entire work out.  Yep.
  • if you're an Eaton girl you have a thing for stacking rings.  The boys never caught the fever.
  • you can eat Indian food until you're blue in the face.
  • you have South Coast Plaza's lay-out burned on your brain due to millions of hours of window shopping.
  • you have started to read Little Women but dropped out because it is so freaking boring.  Christian Bale is so much better to watch than read.  Maybe that's an Eaton girl thing too.
  • you watched ER when George Clooney was a part of the cast.
  • you choose Letterman over Leno, dogs over cats, but there can be found both macs and PCs in the house.
  • you play the card game "spit" with indecent fervor and skill.
  • you're familiar with Muddy Waters, B.B. King (all blues musicians), The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Miles Davis, and Leann Rimes (Cam's first heart throb).
I know it means more than that, but it's time for lunch and I'm done posting for now.  In short, I love being a Fab Eaton.

5 comments:

Aubrey Messick said...

Yah, I'm a big fan of the Eaton fam. Each and every one.

Sarah said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. i thought i was the only one who did that with "little women." sad but true. i think none of us every got beyond page 68.

Jim Eaton said...

I never read Little Women because with 3 daughters and a female dog, I lived Little Women…and The Sound of Music (“Geog, I think there is a little woman in the garden, and she will never become a nun”). I glad to see that I have left some mark on the family with Indian food and the blues. My friend from my ill spent youth, Marvin, was always intrigued that I laughed at my own jokes. However, my jokes were just so terribly funny…always. Love to all my family and late dog Heidi.

I wonder if they show re-runs of the Father of the Bride and the Birds in heaven?

elizabeth said...

Well someone's got to laugh at our hilarious jokes -- and when other people neglect to do so, it doesn't matter, because we are already rolling on the ground with laughter at our own hilarity so the joke gets its due notice.

My problem is that I often start laughing hysterically before I have even said what it is that I think is so funny. So then everyone around me has puzzled looks on their faces and are also overcome with anticipation which what they think must be, terribly funny insight. Then when I finally calm down enough to say it, nobody really thinks it's as funny as I worked it up to be -- but no matter b/c I'll be laughing all over again.

Just ask my friends. This truly does happen.

laceyjo said...

I love this.. you are so creative with your writing.. I could use some help on that. :) loves!