24 June 2008

Curses

There is a position amongst us Leavitts that seems to be cursed, as the 4th girl in 6 months has just thrown in the towel, and I wouldn't put it past her to SKIP out the door on her last day, singing, "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!"

Anyway but then I remembered one of my favorite moments from the movie Moonstruck. I hope to have a conversation of similar climax (if not similar subject matter) with one of my co-workers one of these days.

[Scene: Airport, Cher/Loretta Castorini has just put her fiancé on a plane to Italy and is watching it take off next to an old bitty with a lace shawl.]

Old Crone: You have someone on that plane?
Loretta Castorini: Yeah, my fiancé.
Old Crone: [angry] I put a curse on that plane. My sister is on that plane. I put a curse on that plane that it's gonna explode, burn on fire and fall into the sea. Fifty years ago, she stole a man from me. S'aprice l'uomo! Today she tells me that she never loved him, that she took him to be strong on me. Now she's going back to Sicily. Di returne Sicilia! I cursed her that the green Atlantic water should swallow her up!
Loretta Castorini: I don't believe in curses.
Old Crone: [shrugging] Eh, neither do I.

6 comments:

liNdsEYloO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liNdsEYloO said...

to many errors to post previous comment.
i believe in curses. its mkaes it feel like its not my fault :)
a pox on the phony king of england!! wait...i feel a song coming on... :)

Margaret said...

I see a wolf in you.

Annie said...

And I bake bread, bread, bread.

MOMMACITA said...

snap out of it

MOMMACITA said...

don't forget to slap someone