03 June 2009

Interview

I have been to 2 job interviews in the past 48 hours.

Job interviews are like dates. You have to dress like you care but aren't trying too hard. I have to fight the impulse to play with my hair (my neon flashing sign o' "Word up, y'all, I'm nervous!"), and can tell pretty quickly if it's something I want to pursue further or not (and consequently either spend the rest of the time wondering why I did this to myself, and wishing I were watching Gilmore Girls at home, OR hoping they notice my divine nature and endearing skillz). If it is going well, the final 10 seconds of the ordeal are the most nerve-racking. In the case of a first date/interview, you wouldn't hope for the job offer/goodnight lip mash at first parting -- wouldn't that be oddly hasty? I mean, unless you're 2 minutes from reporting to the MTC or harboring hopes of joining the Hogi Yogi team. If not, you just want some reason to believe you'll meet again to explore compatibility on a meatier level. An "I had a great time; we should do it again sometime," and maybe a swift hug. Or an "It was a pleasure to meet you; we'll be in touch," with a firm handshake.

And then you wait by the phone and when that gets old you make yourself busy with arts and crafts..................................................................................

1 comment:

m.m. said...

this'll be me in seattle pretty soon. at least you have school to look forward too, right?

p.s. i need your email, because we made the blog private. annoying, i know.