14 July 2011

5 Months: Giggle pants


Happy 5 months to JUDE.

He gets more terrific by the hour. I only can't believe it's been 5 months -- the days go by so quickly!

Here's the skinny on our boy:

- He was sleeping through the night from about 3 months until about 2 weeks ago. Then he thought that was a boring and started waking up 3 or 4 times a night. I felt like I had a newborn again, except the lack of sleep from before had finally caught up with me. I could fall asleep on command. He's almost back to sleeping through the night.
- He's the most stubborn baby. During sleep re-training he cried for...a lot of hours straight. I believe in the cry-it-out method within reason, I realize it's something you just plow through for a few nights and it's better for him, better for me, but he was the energizer bunny. Not even slowing down or showing signs of exhaustion until I gave up and picked him up.
- The stubborn factor frosted over the layer of his endless kicking, bouncing (in his jumper), ffffllleeexing all his muscles, standing, and even getting up on all 4s kinda scares the crap out of me. What will he be like when he's mobile??? I can just see me now, chasing him up the aisles during church. Goodbye, heels. Or goodbye thin heels.
- He's long and not thin, but not fat. 90th percentile for "height" (length?), 50th for weight, and 30th for his head. When our pediatrician gave us these stats, The Far Side cartoon below immediately came to mind:

But of course I don't think he looks disproportional, if you think he does don't tell me. I partially think the percentile stuff is junk.
- He is much better at independent play. He has really changed from being a very fussy baby to a very happy, content one.
- He draws attention wherever I go, much like all babies do, I imagine. Outside the walls of our house, people are always stopping me to say anything and everything they want. Here are some of the gems offered by the all-knowing public:
  • "You're blessed."
  • "He's so _____ (cute synonym)!"
  • "How old is he?? 1 month??" And sometimes, they act like I'm lying when I tell them he's 3, 4, 5 months old. It is so bizarre.
  • "Are you sleeping??"
  • "Make sure there's air circulating in his room at night!"
  • "I think he's hungry." (When I just fed him and he's not fussing.)
  • "He's so content! Boys aren't usually like that. He won't be like that for long."
  • "Are you going to have any more?"
  • "Enjoy the 1 while it lasts!"
  • "Enjoy it while he's immobile!"
I'm sure everyone means well. Some of this stuff if very nice. Some of it I want to just walk away mid-sentence. Do they expect me to take their advice or pearls when I know nothing about them? In any case I would rather get attention for having a nice baby than for being 60 lbs. overweight with pregnancy lovin.
- Jude gives us huge smiles. He makes eyes at Aunt Sarah like he's going to ask her to the Prom.
- He's most ticklish on his neck, his dad is best at getting giggles out of him. When he gets going, he really gets going.
- He's already showing some personality traits I identify with. When he's getting tired he gets silly. (His cousin E is also known for this.) He also isn't flexible. While my friends' babies eat their feet all the live long day, he can't even get his near his collar bone.
- Squeaks, shrieks, squeals.
- He's a rollin.
- A few times now he starts staring off into space, chewing on his fist and talking to himself. What I wouldn't give to know what he is thinking about. Probably, "Man, milk is awesome. Just...just awesome."

He is the absolute delight. I am so grateful to have Jeff with me in this too -- it would be very isolating not having anyone else who understands the way I feel about our Jude. I'm tired, still have 20 lbs. clinging on for dear life, smell like sour milk, and am a human burp cloth, but I have never been so happy. Jeff and Jude are my greatest dreams come true. Now if he could please just not grow up and become a meth dealer.





"Eef thees ees torture, chain me to thee wall!"

4 comments:

chayes said...

I need some Jude loving in the worst way! We can hardly wait to see him!

S.A.R. said...

Yes, Jude. I will go to prom with you. Prom 2029.

Alice said...

SO whenever people in public will make comments like they know my child's needs better than I do, I just say, "Did you push this baby out your vagina?" That always shuts them up.

Grant and Kristin Collard said...

Merzy- Jude is an absolute doll. His eyes just melt my heart. The end.