18 September 2008

the aunties! the aunties are coming!

my mom has 4 older brothers. count them 1, 2, 3, 4. she loved them and baked them cookies regularly but always wanted for a sister. it's a good thing these 1, 2, 3, 4 uncles turned out to be such unabashed stud muffins, because mom's wish was granted in the form of 1, 2, 3, 4 sisters-in-law. these sisters-in-law/aunties/mothers/grandmothers transcend your typical fun. they are classy, they are talented, they kind, they profusely pour on compliments and never brook a single one which is thrown their way. so we hear a lot of "oh thank you, but no, no, no, it was nothing." sometimes i just want to say (and maybe not in an inside voice), "just admit it! you're the absolute living end!"

every year my mom and aunties are active participants in the "sisters-in-law retreat." it's quite exclusive. this year the epicenter, the ground zero o' fun is...my home base. the 1, 2, 3, 4 aunties are comin 'round the moun-in as i blog! so i'm foreseeing copious amounts of chocolate, diet coke with lime, movies where the women wear corsets or empire waists, and tales told of immediate descendents. maybe if i slide into some flannel jammies, wear sunglasses to prevent recognition, and tell stories about fake grandchildren, i can get in on some of the fun, too.

1, 2, 3, 4 aunties are 1, 2, 3, 4 times lovely.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Love to all my aunties as well! I'm jealous you might be a bit privy to their dealings.
Send all of them my love, even my madre.
So, when we starting a cousins retreat? I'll retreat just about anywhere you know.

Jim Eaton said...

Can't wait for them to arrive. How will this impact my life for the weekend? One can only guess...

Hilary said...

Only you, YOU! can make me laugh so very hard whilst I sit by myself at the computer. Yes, Merzy-roo, you will have to be a chaperone to those crazy ladies...make sure they don't get into too much trouble...moniter their "truth or dare" games and make sure lights out is at 9pm sharp, etc. etc. Wish I was there, too!